List of top 12 Largest Statue in the World
The largest statue in the world is the statue of unity which is located in the state of Gujarat India. The statue of unity is 182 m high and it affects the Indian statesman and independence activist Vallabhbhai Patel. The prime minister of India Narendra Modi announced this project on 7th October 2013, although the project was first announced in 2010 and the construction of the statue started in the year 2013 in October. The construction was started by an Indian company Larsen and Toubro and the total cost of the construction was 2700 crores.
Key points of the largest statue in the world
- The designer of the statue was the Indian sculpture Ram Sutar and the statue was inaugurated by the prime minister Narendra Modi on 31st October 2018, which was the 143rd anniversary of Vallabhbhai Patel’s birthday.
- To execute this project a society named Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta trust was formed under the chairmanship of the chief minister of Gujarat.
- For the construction of the statue of unity, the makers needed iron which was collected from the farmers. The farmers donated their used farming instruments and by 2016, 135 matric terms of scrap iron were collected to build the statue of unity, it was about 109 turns and was used to make the foundation of the statue.
- The statue of unity is the world’s tallest statue it is 182 meters. It is 54 m higher than the spring temple of Buddha in China’s Henan province. The statue of unity is constructed on a river Island named Sadhu Bed which is 3.2 km away from the Narmada dam.
- The statue is divided into 5 zones, out of which only three hours are accessible to the general public. The first zone of the statue starts from the base to the level of Patel’s shins, which have three levels. These three levels include an exhibition area mezzanine and roof. The first zone also contains a museum and a memorial garden. The second zone of the statue reaches up to the thighs of Patel’s statue, while the third zone extends up to the viewing gallery which is at a height of 153 m.
- After the grand opening of the statue of unity on the first of November 2018, more than 1 lakh tourists visited the statue in 10 days. The statue of unity attracted more than 2 crore visitors in the first year of its operation with rupees 82 crores ticket revenue.
Top 12 Largest Statues in the World
|Name of the Statue||Height||Location||Country|
|Spring Temple||128 m (420 ft)||Lushan, Henan||China|
|Guanyin of Nanshan||78 m (256 ft)||Sanya, Hainan||China|
|Son Tra Quan Am||67 m (220 ft)||Da Nang||Vietnam|
|Luangpho Yai||59.2 m (194 ft)||Roi Et||Thailand|
|Great Standing Maitreya Buddha||57.6 m (189 ft)||Emei Township, Hsinchu Country||Taiwan|
|Statue of Gautama Buddha||77.9 m (256 ft)||Kyaikhto, Mon State||Myanmar|
|Statue of Equality||65.8m (216 ft)||Hyderabad||India|
|Statue of Liberty||46m (148 ft)||Liberty Island, New York||United States|
|Laykyun Sekkya||115.8m (380 ft)||Khatakan Taung||Myanmar|
|Statue of Belief||106m (348 ft)||Nathdwara, Rajasthan||India|
|Guishan Guanyin||99m (325 ft)||Weishan, Changsha||China|
|Great Buddha of Thailand||92m (302 ft)||Ang Thong||Thailand|
Tallest Statues in the World: Details
- Spring Temple– It was the world’s largest statue until November 2018. It depicts Vairocana Buddha and it is located in Lushan County, Henan, China. It is the second-largest statue in the world after the Statue of Unity in Gujarat, India.
- Guanyin of Nanshan– It depicts Bodhisattva Guanyin. The statue has three aspects one side faces inland and the other two faces the South China sea to represent the blessings and protection of Guanyin of China and the whole world.
- Son Tra Quan Am– It is located in Da Nang, Vietnam. It is 67 m high.
- Luangpho Yai– It is located in Wat Bhurapha Phiram Temple in Roi Et province. It depicts the standing Gautam Buddha. The statue is known to be a landmark of the province.
- Great Standing Maitreya Buddha– it is known for a white smile with protruding belly. The statue is 57.6 m tall.
- Statue of Gautama Buddha- Situated in Kyaikto, Mon State, Myanmar. The statue stands 256 ft high. It depicts Gautam Buddha.
- Statue of Equality– The statue of equality is also known as the Ramanuja statue. It was constructed to commemorate the thousand years of Ramanuja’s birth. It is the second tallest sitting statue in the world.
- Statue of Liberty– It depicts the figure of Libertas, a robed Roman Liberty Goddess. She holds the torch over her head with her right hand and in her left-hand carries a tabula ansata, inscribed July 4th, 1776 in Roman numerals, the date of the US declaration of independence.
- Laykyun Sekkya– The construction started in 1996 and was completed in 2018. It is located in the Khatakan Taung village, near Monywa, Myanmar. It depicts the Standing statue of Gautama Buddha
- Statue of Belief– The statue of belief depicts lord shiva and it is located in Nathdwara, Rajasthan, India. The height of the statue of belief is 106 m.
- Guishan Guanyin– It is located in Ningxiang, Hunan province, China. It is the fourth tallest statue in China and the sixth tallest statue in the world. It is a bronze monument that depicts the manifestation of Bodhisattva Guanyin.
- Great Buddha of Thailand– It is also known as the Big Buddha of Thailand and it is located in Wat Muang temple in Ang Thong province of Thailand. The statue is 92 m high and 63 m wide. The construction began in 1990 and was completed in 2008.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams