International Day of Happiness 2023 celebrates on 20 March
The International Day of Happiness is an annual celebration that occurs on March 20. Its purpose is to emphasize the importance of happiness and the overall well-being of individuals. The United Nations initiated this event in 2013, following Bhutan’s advocacy for national happiness. Observing the International Day of Happiness prompts us to realize that happiness has a significant impact on our longevity and productivity. One way to mark the occasion is by sharing warm greetings and quotes with loved ones, inspiring them to embrace happiness.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
International Day of Happiness 2023: Theme
The theme of International Day of Happiness for this year has been kept as “Be Mindful, Be Grateful, Be Kind.”
Significance of the International Day of Happiness:
- Recognizes the importance of happiness: The day emphasizes the significance of happiness as a universal goal and a fundamental human right.
- Promotes well-being: It highlights the importance of mental and physical well-being and encourages individuals to take steps to improve their happiness.
- Raises awareness: The International Day of Happiness raises awareness about the benefits of happiness and the impact it has on individuals, communities, and nations.
- Advocates for public policy: It recognizes the importance of happiness and well-being in public policy objectives and encourages governments to prioritize policies that promote happiness.
- Inspires positive action: The day inspires individuals and organizations to take positive action towards promoting happiness, whether it is through acts of kindness, community service, or personal well-being practices.
- Encourages reflection: The day prompts individuals to reflect on their own happiness and well-being and identify areas where they can make positive changes to improve their quality of life.
International Day of Happiness: History
On July 12, 2012, the United Nations General Assembly announced March 20 as the International Day of Happiness through its resolution 66/281. The resolution acknowledged the universality of happiness and well-being as crucial goals and recognized their importance in public policy objectives. The first celebration of this event took place in 2013 and has since served as a means of acknowledging the significance of happiness in the lives of people worldwide.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- President of the 77th Session of the UN General Assembly: H.E. Csaba Kőrösi;
- UN General Assembly Headquarters: New York, United States.
You may also read this:
Find More Important Days Here