What is LBSNAA?
LBSNAA stands for Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA). It is a dream to many UPSC CSE aspirants. India’s LBSNAA Mussoorie is a civil service institution for public administration and public policy. The academy’s primary function is to teach IAS cadre government employees and deliver the Group-A Central Civil Services Foundation Course. The trainee officers of the IAS cadre receive an MA in Public Administration from Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi after completing their training. Since 1985, LBSNAA has operated under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions.
UPSC Online Coaching 2023 includes Live Classes, Test Series & Video Lectures
LBSNAA Full Form:
LBSNAA stands for Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA).
Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant, the union Home minister at the time, declared in the Lok Sabha on April 15, 1958, that the government would establish a National Academy of Administration where all new Civil Services recruits would receive training. In order to create the National Academy of Administration, which would be located in Mussoorie in 1959, the Ministry of Home Affairs also chose to combine the IAS Training School in Delhi and the IAS Staff College in Shimla.
There were two name changes for the Academy. It was renamed Lal Bahadur Shastri Academy of Administration in October 1972, and in July 1973 the institution adopted its current name, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA).
- On April 13, 1959, 115 officers began the inaugural batch of officers’ training at Metcalf House in Delhi. The academy relocated to Mussoorie’s Charleville Hotel in September 1959. This hotel was the first to be constructed in this hill town. The government bought the hotel from private owners.
- General Wilkinson originally constructed the hotel’s main structure in 1854, and Mr. Hobson, a former manager of Mussoorie Bank, bought it in 1861. The hotel hosted Queen Mary of the UK, who was known as the Princess of Wales at the time, in 1905. In 1888, the author Rudyard Kipling stayed there. The main hotel structure was damaged by fire in 1984.
- The academy operated under the Home Ministry from its founding to October 31, 1970, then under a different ministry from April 1977 until March 1985.
- The institution has been run by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions since April 1985. The academy founded the National Informatics Center Training Unit (NICTU) in 1988.
- The National Society for Promotion of Development Administration Research and Training (NSDART), presently known as the National Institute of Administration Research, was founded by the academy in 1989. (NIAR).
IAS Training at LBSNAA:
- LBSNAA: The Union Public Service Commission’s competitive Civil Services Examinations are used to select the majority of officers for India’s top civil services. Those that are selected enroll in the four-month Foundation Course at LBSNAA Mussoorie.
- The concept of “equality” among all the students is introduced in this course.
- Officers of the Indian Administrative Service then continue their professional development at the academy while those of the other services head to their respective staff colleges, such as the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service in New Delhi for Indian Foreign Service officers. Officers of the Indian Police Service attend the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy in Hyderabad, while those of the Indian Forest Service attend the Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy in Dehradun, and those of the Indian Revenue Service attend the National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes and Narcotics.
- Additionally, the academy started offering Mid-Career Training Programs for Indian Administrative Service officials in 2007.
- While officers with around eight years of service go through the Phase III Mid-Career Training Program, those with about 15 years of service who are expected to become Joint Secretaries go through the Phase IV Mid-Career Training Program.
LBSNAA Collaborations To Promote Knowledge Base for Training:
The LBSNAA academy is collaborating with prominent think tanks and Ivy League research institutes to offer the most thorough knowledge base for training. The institution introduced training in the most recent technologies in combination with its relationships with Google and Siddhartha Paul Tiwari.
This gave students insight into the most recent advancements in the subject. The academy also offers a number of quick-learning courses in a range of public administration and governance topics.
- A number of research centers, some of which have an autonomous status, support the academy’s research in the areas of governance and public administration.
- The National Institute of Administrative Research, which is administered by an executive director, is the most significant research facility in the academy.
- The institution also houses the Gender Center, the Center for Rural Credit, the Center for Disaster Management, and the Center for Rural Studies.
LBSNAA Mussoorie New building in Mussoorie:
There are academic and staff offices, computer labs, and lecture halls in the brand-new Aadharshila and Gyanshila structures. The largest central auditorium for cultural events and performances is Sampoornanand Auditorium. The short-term programmes are offered at the Indira Bhavan site, which is a kilometre from the main campus of LBSNAA Mussoorie.
A big sports facility, a library, computer labs, Wi-Fi, and a number of dorms are all available at the academy for resident students of LBSNAA Mussoorie.
An Indian civil service training facility for public policy and administration is the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA Mussoorie). The LBSNAA academy’s primary function is to teach IAS cadre government employees and deliver the Group-A Central Civil Services Foundation Course. The trainee officers of the IAS cadre receive an MA in Public Administration from Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi after completing their training. Since 1985, it has operated under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions.
LBSNAA is a dream for every UPSC CSE aspirant. They prepare very hard to reach there. Indian Administrative Services are very prestigious services, and it requires extreme dedication.
LBSNAA Officer Trainee (OT) life is a deeply rewarding experience designed to upskill technical knowledge and improve overall personality so that new recruits join their chosen cadres and services prepared for the challenge. The Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration’s four-month Foundation Course serves as the first phase for successful candidates (LBSNAA). The OTs are then separated into groups based on the services they provide and dispatched to the designated training facilities. However, Bharat Darshan (a tour of India) and district training are both part of the training for Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Officers that takes place at LBSNAA Mussoorie.
Following are the Centers for training for various UPSC posts at LBSNAA:
|Service||Institute for Training||Venue||University Tie-up|
|IAS||Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA)||Mussoorie||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)|
|IPS||Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA)||Hyderabad||Osmania University|
|IFS||Foreign Service Institute||New Delhi|
|IFoS||Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy (IGNFA)||Dehradun||Forest Research Institute|
|IRS (Income Tax)||National Academy of Direct Taxes||Nagpur||NALSAR University|
|IRS (Customs and Central Excise)||National Academy of Customs, Excise & Narcotics||Faridabad||NALSAR University|
The following is the schedule for the IAS training programme:
- Foundation Course
- District Training
- Assistant Secretary-ship
LBSNAA Motivation for IAS Aspirants
LBSNAA is a dream to many but reality for few. Every UPSC CSE aspirant dream of going to LBSNAA and get training with fellow IAS cadre but only few out of lakhs get this opportunity every year. One must not loose the hope and keep the motivation high because dreams comes true when you work hard for them with constant learning from failures.
Find More National News Here