In an effort to uplift the lives of people living below the poverty line who face significant challenges due to disabilities, Indira Gandhi National Disability Pension Scheme provides social benefits to eligible individuals. The scheme targets persons with disabilities (PWDs) between the ages of 18 and 79, who have 80% or more disability or multiple disabilities. This scheme comes under the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP).
To be eligible for the scheme, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Age: Applicants should be between 18 and 79 years old.
- Disability: They should have 80% or more disability or multiple disabilities.
- Socio-economic status: Applicants must belong to households classified as Below Poverty Line (BPL).
The scheme is fully funded by the Government of India, with beneficiaries receiving a monthly pension of Rs. 300/-. Additionally, the State Government supplements this amount by providing Rs. 200/- per month to each beneficiary under the Integrated National Disability Pension Scheme (IGNDP). This extra financial support is specifically directed towards individuals with disabilities who are classified as 80% or more disabled or having multiple disabilities.
The National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP)
The National Social Assistance Programme is a welfare programme being administered by the Ministry of Rural Development. The schemes under this programme are 100% funded by the Central government.
The programme was first launched on 15th August 1995 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
Currently, It has five components:
- Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme
- National Family Benefit Scheme
- Annapurna Scheme
- Indira Gandhi National Widow Pension Scheme
- Indira Gandhi National Disability Pension Scheme
Key takeaways for competitive examinations
- Indira Gandhi served as the third prime minister of India from: 1966 to 1977
- Indira Gandhi was the recipient of Bharat Ratna in: 1972
- Indira Gandhi National Disability Scheme was launched on: February 2009
Find More News Related to Schemes & Committees